Heritage

In addition to hydrotherapy, another major point of attraction of the county has always been what is now called religious tourism, with the architectural richness of our churches, including the fact that Vizela is located in the St. James Way.

s6S. Bento Sanctuary
Located in the parish of S. Miguel, overlooking the Vizela at an altitude of 410 meters we find in this mountain spot several interesting sites to visit and a pleasant ride.
In order to promote the quality of life of local people and the preservation of cultural and religious heritage, this space was the target of an intervention by reorganizing the entire surroundings of the shrine, giving it the infrastructure to enable the protection of the environment.
The Shrine of St. Benedict consists of two chapels. The oldest, preferred site for devotees to fulfill their promises, is dated from the XVI cens3tury. The latest was dedicated to the cult in October 1970. The last restoration, that transformed the interior and the main facade of the new chapel, finished in 2004. In addition to these two chapels, it will be possible even admire a Roman Cista .
In the surrounding area of the chapel, there is an altar for outdoor mass, gift shop, gardens and for the family living in a picnic area.
All this leisure area is equipped with tables, toilet blocks, parking and many streets. Mount St. Benedict is used not only as a place of religious worship but also during the year as passenger location and entertainment many families, making up traditional picnics and traditional games.
The two viewpoints exist here provide a breathtaking view of the city and the whole valley allowing the contemplation of a magnificent landscape.
Unique feature of this site, are also painted white rocks that appear throughout the hillside, which means the thanks of the devotees for graces.

Balnereo TermalBalneario Termaleário of Vizela Spa
Located in St. John parish in the Spa Street. The existing facilities began to be built in 1870, having been made the initial project in 1866/67, by Eng. Bartholomew Achilles Déjante, which included three buildings. The thermal facilities were officially opened in 1892.
The main thermal spa has a rich architecture that characterizes its time, this being one of the country’s largest and consists of a body at the center, connected by two pavilions forming wings. The practice of hydrotherapy in Vizela dates back to the Roman times. Its waters are sulphurous, sodic and hyperthermal.
The therapeutic indications are advised for respiratory diseases, rheumatic diseases, muscle – skeletal and even skin diseases.

 

 

Bica Quente 1Bica Hot – St. Michael
Located in Republic Square, in the city center, where in the basement are born sulphurous waters that spring from his little fountain. Legend It is said that those who put the finger on the source will be forever in this city.

 

 

 

 

Senhora da Tocha 8Torch Lady Chapel of Our Lady of the Torch
Located in the parish of Sto. Adrião, the Street of Our Lady of the Torch, we found the Chapel of Our Lady of the Torch. Its construction dates from the eighteenth century. To highlight its crenellated and thirty-nine merlons decorated with Romanesque motifs.
Inside can be seen one ogivado triumphal arch that separates the body from the chapel of the temple – mor. In front of the chapel is the cruise Our Lady of the Torch, full granite, constituting a magnificent example of Romanesque art.

 

 


Casa Castelo 2House Castle House “Castle”
This majestic building, known as “Castle”, located in St John’s parish, has a neo-Gothic style, having started its construction around 1898, finishing the same at the beginning of the century. XX, around 1905, at the behest of Dr. Armindo Freitas Ribeiro de Faria, in order to establish himself the Town Hall.
This important legacy is undoubtedly an important milestone in Vizela history, as the result of a persistent struggle of Dr. Armindo Faria, politician and doctor, the administrative autonomy of their homeland – Vizela.
This building, with over one hundred years of existence, it remains an extremely emblematic monument, regarded as a symbol of the struggle of Vizela people.

 


saHouse of Sá (In Classification Vias)

Located in the parish of Santa Eulalia, at Rua de Sá Line, dated 2 October 1995. abundant Baroque style, was probably built in the sixteenth century, though its facade is nineteenth century, and later in the nineteenth century, it has been created also the extensive romantic garden next to the portal.
Quinta de Sá, besides being an agricultural production center was linked to industrial activity, since one of its owners built near the River Vizela a large factory made of vegetable paper. Also in the late nineteenth century, one of the buildings next to the threshing floor served for silkworm rearing silkworm and installation of looms.
Several generations of the house magnified the country’s political, military, literature, music, among others. Gone through this, many political refugees of the time of Absolutism and Salazar (New State).
This way, also passed individualities as Camilo Castelo Branco, Jose Regio, Bishop Trindade Salgueiro, who exchanged letters with the children of this home.

 

Igreja Matriz S. Miguel 2Church St. Michael (old) St. Michael (Property of Municipal Interest)
Located in the parish of St. Michael Rua da Barrosa, 26 February 1982. Its construction was completed in the seventeenth century. This was the successor existing in Century I possibly being a reconstruction or expansion of the Romanesque church, since the parish is the oldest in the Archdiocese of Braga.
The “EcclesiaeSancti Michaelis in OculisCalidarium”, was represented at the first Council held in Lugo, Spain, in the year 607.
The interior was remodeled in the eighteenth century, with the entire back a wainscot tile and two joanina hoist side altarpieces that extend the valance of the triumphal arch. The ship’s ceiling, wood is fully decorated with paintings. The chapel – mor is covered with painted stucco ceiling and the center has a wide gilded altarpiece with thrones and niches.

 

Ponte Romana 5Roman bridge Roman Bridge (National Monument)
Located in St. John parish in Pereira dos Reis Street, classified as a National Monument, June 23, 1910.
This former landmark, is part of one of the most important features of the built heritage of Vizela county.
Built during the Roman period, was part of the track – Roman military that linked the towns of Braga and Merida.
Given the beauty of its surroundings, it was ripe to do in ancient times, traditional picnics Sunday best, especially during the summer season.
However, this tradition is, losing over the years. Today, and with a view to rehabilitate and adapt its banks, it has created a leisure area, where you can again enjoy a beautiful green space.

 

tagildePattern of Tagilde Treaty
Located in the parish of Tagilde, Rua do Tagilde Treaty, we found the Evocative Monument Portugal Alliance – England. This important treaty was signed between King Ferdinand (the Fair) and representatives of the Duke of Lancaster (son of Edward III of England), who married in 1369 to Constance, daughter of Peter I of Castile, so considerava- is heir to the throne of Castile. This agreement, signed on July 10, 1372, was the first legal instrument of treaty of alliance between Portugal and England. In this pact, Portugal took sides with England against Henry II of Castile and their French allies. The genesis of this process was the Hundred Years War (1339-1453) between France and England, seeing the latter obliged to seek allies in Castile, Aragon and Portugal (in History of Portugal – José Hermano Saraiva – National ReadersDigest ).
This monument of granite grandeur, is erected in the parish since 1953, next to the Parish Church of S. Salvador Tagilde. Obelisk evocative of Tagilde Treaty, symbolizes the oldest military alliance that endures in the world.

gominhaPalace of Gominhães (Public Interest)
Located in St. John parish in Gominhães of Palace Street on 29 September 1977. It is an interesting medieval root of housing and with ancestors who distinguished themselves in history homeland.
The original building dates back to the reign of King Sancho I, as described in an examination of 1280, and, like most of the old Solar currently has various reasons and additions of later times, as it was suffering the reigns of King John I, John III and finally Alfonso VI. The way this palace has changed over time is related to the evolution of the structure of medieval manor houses known in centuries XVI and XVII., With the history of this house connected to the reign of King Dinis. It is a house emblazoned in whose arms stone entronca the branch of “Vasconcelos”, the famous knight “gaunt”, sung by Camoes in the Lusiadas. This house was the king’s offer Dinis to one of his men, who was part of the delegation that went to fetch Queen Elizabeth (Queen Santa Isabel) to Aragon.
One can also admire in this space a constructed chapel in 1691, of rectangular shape and façade with ashlar corners surmounted by pinnacles, finishing gable truncated by bell. It also has a lintel portal straight and triangular pediment, with an inscription on the lintel is said to have been built by Pedro Vaz C. de Sousa, and a magnificent fountain which is leaning against the entrance staircase. There is also a body intended for stables inserted into the end of the yard. The solar had a tower that was demolished in the nineteenth century.

Vizela - RomanaVizela – Romanian – St. Michael
Allegory symbolizing the Roman origin of Vizela Spa which was the author vizelense painter José Pereira da Costa, reproduced in statue by sculptor Porto João Barata Feyo.
It can be admired in Manuel Faria Garden.

 

Translate »
Portugal